Tuesday 11 September 2012

The Ride Day 3

After the ups, the more ups and downs of the last 2 days, Day 3 promised some respite.

We waved a sad farewell to the only bed we'd see for a week and hurtled down the steep hill into Bath. Very soon though it was more of the same with a very long draggy climb out of Bath to Marshfield. Lots of tired legs this morning but spirits were still high.

We've been told to expect a dip at about day 5. What was actually said was we start out as kids - full of enthusiasm and raring to go. Then by day 4 or 5 we reach the adolescent stage. Grumpy, difficult to reason with and hard to get out of 'bed'. Oh, with the odd hissy fit thrown in.

By Day 6 we are almost fully fledged RABbers. Sensible, philosophical and caring of the welfare of others. Day 7 often sees a return to adolescence apparently - not least as its the longest day at 127 miles... But only by Day 8 and especially Day 9 do we come of age, over 500 people of very different character, background and levels of fitness who have shared a rather unusual experience. We'll see and I'll keep you posted. I certainly don't need any motivation to keep going. The donations to the SKF are still coming in. Thanks so much to those who have given on line since I started riding.

We crossed the Severn Bridge and our first food/water stop was at Chepstow. Still on my home training ground here. I decided to take it easy on the climb up to the Forest of Dean. So often with Steve, Patrick and most definitely with demon climber Neil we put the hammer down on this 6 mile climb. It has been a while since I was able to admire the scenery and it was most enjoyable lads!

At the second stop it was raining for the first time on the ride but Vicky and I decided to press on and it stopped after about 20 mins. The last 30 miles to our camp at Ludlow racecourse were excellent with quiet, well surfaced sweeping roads we positively swooped along. A bit of a contrast with what we'd had before as I omitted to mention the 'off road' section.

Marco (my Italian frame builder - not only Brad Wiggins who can say that!) if you're reading this, and in one very material sense I know you're not as your only words of English when we met were 'Is good?") I am truly sorry. Nothing that beautiful should ever have to be ridden over that 8 miles or so of poorly surfaced track. It wasn't so much the potholes which with care could be navigated around. It was more the sandy sections laced with gravel which would fly like shrapnel against the frame. I wasn't planning on a re-spray quite this soon!

Actually it was fine and the views of the river Wye made up for everything.

We had a mixture of response from car drivers on this first working day of the trip. One not so gentleman leaned out of his window and told Vicky "I hope you get knocked off your bike, it would be really funny". Another lady asked in her posh voice who she could complain to. I hasten to add that we were an extremely well mannered small group of only 8-10 on both occasions, riding in single file.

But there was also the friendly driver who stopped to let us cross a busy A road where we could otherwise have been stranded until rush hour ended.

The other highlight was coming home to my country seat, a castle no less. See photographic evidence below.

But tonight my pop up tent must be my castle and that's where I'm heading before I fall asleep in my blog

No comments:

Post a Comment