Saturday 1 September 2012

Stage 11

The big day is getting very close. I just have to hope that the somewhat limited time I had for training will be enough. I think I am going pretty well and on my last 100 mile sportive recently I actually posted my fastest time for a century ride - 6hrs 2 mins to be precise. I was gutted about those 2 mins I can tell you but then found I was still within Gold standard time when my OAP status was taken into account.

Anyway, too late to worry about that now as with only a few days to the off I have to be tapering. Essentially that means no major efforts, lots of rest and lots of eating. I have no problem with carbo loading certainly.

Recently my riding companions seem to have decided that their mission in life is to see me stuffed with cakes at our coffee stops. Steve, Patrick - I'll let you know if the force feeding strategy pays off or whether all the cash I spent on the new lightweight frame has been a complete waste thanks to you, offset by rider weight gain.

Had a last minute panic with a very squeaky rear wheel and decided it was going to drive me mad over 1000 miles. I got a new one which delayed me packing the bike to be transported to lands end. Then I had another panic when I realised the bike wouldn't fit into the bike box I had borrowed without being completely stripped down virtually to the last ball bearing!

I decided to revert to a very old bike bag that has not seeing active service since baggage handlers dropped it from a great height and trashed the bike inside but it'll be fine for this trip.

All packed and ready to go now though as can be seen from the before and after photos below.

My fundraising is really taking off now. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed and for the rest of you - it's not too late! Just click on the link to my Just Giving page alongside.

No comments:

Post a Comment