Wednesday 8 August 2012

Stage 9

The day of reckoning has dawned. Until now all I have known is that one month from now I will be riding the length of the country in 9 days. It doesn't sound too bad if you say it quickly.

A few hours ago the precise route maps were released by the organisers of the Ride Across Britain and I suspect that scattered around the country there are 600 rather stunned people at present.

Day 1 Lands End to Okehampton via Bodmin Moor. 108 miles with 4783 ft climbing.

Day 2 Okehampton to Bath via Dartmoor, Cheddar Gorge and the Mendips. 110 miles with 4284 ft of climbing.

Day 3 Bath to Ludlow via the Forest of Dean. Only 99 miles but 5439 ft of draggy climbing I know well from training rides.

Day 4 Ludlow to Manchester via Wenlock Edge and most of Cheshire, perilously close to the scenic East Lancs Road I fear, 106 miles and 3303 ft of ascent.

Day 5 Manchester to Penrith past Wigan pier. through Preston, Kendal then over (gulp) Shap Fell. 104 miles with 5252 ft of Pennine upness.

Day 6 Penrith to Glasgow through Carlisle, eloping to Gretna Green then past lots of places I only know from James Alexander Gordon reading the Scottish football results. 100 miles on the nail and och aye 3353 ft which will not be going doon.

Day 7 Glasgow to Fort William. I had to read this one twice. The queen stage indeed. A massive 127 hilly, desolate miles culminating with the oppressive Glen Coe and camping at the foot of Ben Nevis. The biggest climbing day at 6017 ft.

Day 8 Fort William to Kyle of Sutherland along the Great Glen, perhaps a sighting of Nessy? 111 miles and 5301 ft of grind. 

Day 9 Kyle of Sutherland to John O'Groats. So far away and I am sure so very tired. 104 miles, 4140 ft of which is upwards. 

Total 969 miles and 41,872 ft - 8 miles high

Will you excuse me - I'm just going for a little lie down...

1 comment:

  1. That is an incredible challenge and I wish you luck, I just hope that the weather is on your side. It's a great way to push yourself, whilst visiting many places and raising money for an important cause. I was just wondering if you had heard of easy fundraising ideas, it's a site that you could use to raise more money for the Sam Keen Foundation. Check it out if you get a chance, I did a cycle last year and managed to raise an extra £250 through that website. Good luck and take care on your travels,

    Josh

    ReplyDelete