Tuesday 10 July 2012

Newsflash!

I can report that summer finally arrived in Bristol. To be precise it arrived at 10.00am on Sunday 8th July 2012 and stayed around for most of the day before it realised it was pushing its luck and skulked back to its home somewhere far beyond the white cloud cover. I use the word "summer" strictly in the Paul Simon sense you understand - "a good day ain't got no rain"- but it was a start. Sadly, it was probably a end too as it has gone walkabout ever since.

It did allow enough time though for a dry 50 miles or so without having to wear several layers of cycle gear. Bliss.

This photographic evidence is credited to my super-domestique riding partner Steve Page. Steve is a man of many talents. He is probably best known as a multi-talented musician and singer songwriter. But there is a lot more to Steve than just his artistry with words and guitars. 

I would never tell him this of course, but it is just that (what happened to the reference to 'quick sense of humour' and 'all-round good bloke' that was in the first draft? Ed.) which makes him such a great guy to ride with - the fact that there is a lot more to him. Or at least there is a lot more to him than there is of me.

Propelling a bicycle would be very easy if it were not for the laws of physics. The unseen barrier to every bike ride is quite simply air. Even on a perfectly still day you have to displace a lot of air to make any progress. If there is a headwind in an exposed flat area it can feel like you are trying to ride up a mountain on a road of treacle. But get yourself behind something ...or someone... to act as a mobile windbreak and it is said you will save about 30% of your effort.

Thanks for always being there for me Steve.
I am though working on trying to repay the favour and offering more drafting cover on those rare occasions I do take a turn on the front. Believe it or not this is what I was presented with when I made the mistake of ordering the large version of a calzone on Sunday night at the pizza place where Steve was playing with his (excellent) new band The Open Secrets. It also came with garlic bread.

Well, I have a long ride ahead of me and I heard that you have to carbo-load...


No comments:

Post a Comment